For Lack of a Nail...

"For Lack of a Nail..." is the venue for Lloyd V.s occasional musings on everyday events, his design work, and life in the sometimes divergent worlds of make-believe in videogames.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

I never know what to say about myself when it comes to these things, so I'll try to keep this short and sweet. My interests are many and varied, from Apple's Macs to Mike Mignola's Hellboy. I also have an eclectic taste in music, counting such artists as Breakin Benjamin, Kanye West, and Rachael Yamagata among my favorites. Playing video games is also a passion, with World of Warcraft currently monopolizing my time while I eagerly anticipate new entries in the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid series.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Knights of the Old Republic Once and Twice

forceStormI finished Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic-The Sith Lords a couple of days ago, and despite my initial reservations, I like it better than the first one. I was not quite certain that a KotOR sequel made by someone other than Bioware wouldn't suck, and after learning that the game was built on an enhanced version of the original KotOR engine, I felt that The Sith Lords might very well be a glorified stand-alone expansion pack.

I believe what won me over was TSL's story. While the game's plot twist was nowhere as momentous as KotOR's, its premise—that a Jedi has suffered amnesia—seems easier to believe than the original's "reprogrammed" scenario. I also think the Sith Lord's ending is an improvement over the original's corny "After Show" with republic ships
whizzing overhead, although I admit TSL's conclusion seems to be a little abrupt.

forceStormGraphically, The Sith Lord has the same feel as the original, with a few improvements. The game's environments, for instance, no longer have the "Fog of War" effect that the original sported (which may have been used to obscure geometry for performance). I especially liked the interiors of the Onderon Royal Palace, its open halls with mosaic floors and stained glass windows were welcome respites from the mostly industrial look of the other planets.

I am looking forward to the next Knights of the Old Republic game. Hopefully, it will allow gameplay after the main story arc has ended and feature a modding tool so that the community could add playable content to enhance replayability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home